Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Baby's First Veg

Or fruit.  I think avocado is technically a fruit because it has a pit.  Anyway...

After a discussion with my pediatrician, Baby C started her love affair with "solid" food a few weeks ago (I have solid in quotes because I don't really count purees as solid food, but I digress).  First, we took the plunge with some rice cereal.  But just like her mama, Claire was ready for some guacamole.  Mmmm...

Avocado is an excellent first food for babies.  It's full of essential nutrients, minerals and a good source of fat for brain development and chunky thighs.  Since I was (and still am) pretty determined to make most of Claire's food, I also thought avocado was a good way to start this adventure in becoming a baby food chef. It really couldn't have been easier.

My tools:



My sous chef:


The process:



Scoop out a ripe avocado, blend in food processor (or mash with fork) until no chunks remain.


The result:


1 small avocado yields about 2 - 3 ounces of baby food.

 Isn't it pretty?  I know avocado green was kind of a 70's thing, but I like it.  But maybe that's also because I really, really like avocados, especially with chips and a margarita.

Moral of the story: making your own baby food is as easy as pie (except pie's not that easy to make).  It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or you can keep it in the freezer for 3 months.  And like any good guac aficionado knows, avocado oxidizes and turns brown.  If it bothers you or your baby, just skim off the top layer.

Yum - bring on the burritos!

No comments:

Post a Comment