Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My New Rules to Live By

Rules to live by - they've always existed.  When I was younger, I had to do my homework before I could do anything else, I had to have a glass of milk with dinner, and I had to practice the piano every day for 20 minutes.  When I worked, my rules were always return a voicemail within 24 hours after receiving it, always having an agenda prepared for any meeting, and checking my work email before I went to bed every night.  Now that life has evolved again, so have my rules.  Here's what I try to do every day so I can be a better me, a better friend, a better wife, and a better mom.


Do something good for yourself

I don't think people (and parents in particular) spend enough time on themselves.  It's a busy world - you're working, you're going to and from places, you're not sleeping enough as it is.  But take some time to something good for you.  The nice thing is you define what "good for yourself" is - maybe it's switching out a soda for a glass of water, maybe it's walking to the store instead of driving, or maybe it's eating that piece of dark chocolate and washing it down with a glass of red wine.  Whatever is your "zen now" thing, do it.  And do it every day.  I like to watch "Sex and the City" reruns while Baby C sleeps - but now I'm adding in doing weights and resistance training during commercials.  I get to relax with my guilty pleasure AND I'm doing something for my health.

Do something good for someone else

You probably already do something good for someone else every day.  Do you call a friend just to say hi?  Do you make your significant other dinner?  Try upping the ante a little bit.  It doesn't have to be a big gesture every single day.  Maybe make your spouse's lunch for the next day.  Buy coffee for the person in line behind you.  Drop off some items at Goodwill.
  
Have a sense of appreciation


No matter how hard things might feel or how bad it seems things are, make sure to feel grateful for something.  My little Baby C was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder at birth and I thought it was the worst thing ever.  After we went to Children's Hospital to consult with her endocrinologist, I looked around at all the other children and families who were thriving with odds stacked against them.  So Claire has to take a pill every night...so what?  She's a growing, healthy, happy baby girl and things could be much, much worse.

Get outside

I know they say milk does a body good, but I think fresh air beats it.  There's something about taking a deep breath or feeling the sunshine on your face.  Plus, Vitamin D is essential for everyone!  Get out there!

Stretch

Now that Baby C is getting bigger (read: heavier), I am waking up with pains and aches in places I've never hurt before!  Just taking 2-3 minutes to stretch when I wake up and before I go to bed is rejuvenating and also relaxing.  When I have a little more time, I love to squeeze in some yoga in the mornings.  Clear mind and happy body.

What are your rules that you live by?  

No comments:

Post a Comment