Happy Monday, everyone! Welcome to Mahvelous Meal Monday! In theory, I'm going to post a cheap, easy and relatively healthy recipe every Monday - no excuse for microwave dinners or takeout!
Today's meal: Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
I was looking for a way to use up some odds and ends in my freezer and refrigerator. I had leftover spinach from a salad, 2 frozen hamburger buns and half a container of store-bought pesto. So these yummy sandwiches were born!
Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
*makes 4 servings
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup of pesto (either homemade or store-bought)
- Sprinkle of pine nuts (if desired)
- Handful of spinach
- Hamburger buns
- Mix shredded chicken breasts, pesto and pine nuts together in large bowl
- Dress hamburger buns with spinach and top with pesto chicken mix
- Serve with a nice green salad and enjoy!
*I use frozen chicken breasts, boil them until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, let rest for 10 minutes and shred. This whole process takes about 25-35 minutes and can usually be done during nap time. Baby C takes about 45 minute naps, and I can prep the entire sandwich in one nap time.
*To make these a hot sandwich, put hamburger bun and pesto chicken mixture under the broiler, top with a mild cheese (like provolone) and keep under broiler until cheese melts. Top with spinach.
This is a sandwich that is great hot or cold - it also makes excellent leftovers!