Monday, November 28, 2011

Stylish Mom = Oxymoron?

I just googled "how to be a stylish mom". I wish I was kidding. 

It's easy when you're a mom to think you're condemned to a life of yoga pants and old t-shirts when you're around your family. Why bother getting dressed? It's just going to be puked on/spit up on/pooped on/spilled on! But I was always that person who dressed up for work even when I was working from home. If I'm going over to a friend's to hang out, I don't just put on my tracksuit (okay, sometimes I do). I think that how you put yourself together gives you a feeling of self-worth and confidence. Clearly, what's on the inside matters WAY more, but what's wrong with feeling good about how we look?

Figure out what works for you

Are you going to be that mom with a crisp button down shirt and ironed khakis? Heels and pearls? No one said because you're a mom you have to be relegated to sweats and tennis shoes. You still have style! You just have to figure out what works with your new life as a mom. Me? I was never a heels girl to begin with, so that was easy. My new "uniform" is whatever is comfortable and makes me feel good. Sometimes, it's a cozy sweater with jeggings and boots. Sometimes, I layer a cardigan over a blouse, roll up my jeans and put on my TOMS. And yes, sometimes it's sweats. But I refuse to believe that I shouldn't put effort into what I wear just because I'm not going to work or going out for dinner. I dress for myself, thankyouverymuch.

Make your hair stylish AND functional 

I know, sometimes we're lucky to get our hair washed - who has time to style? First off, if you're washing your hair every day, stop. It's not good for your hair (sez Ken Paves, hairstylist to the stars). If it's oily, use a dry shampoo. So that saves some time right there. If your favorite go-to style is a ponytail, try twisting or braiding back the front section. What about a bun instead? Headbands are also great to keep hair out of your face and add a touch of style to your outfit.


Cute mom Kourtney Kardashian making the bun look sexy!

Accessorize!

Okay, so you're probably not breaking out your diamond bracelet when you're playing in the park, but having a few accessories can really spice up any wardrobe. Obviously, some pieces are going to be more enticing for little hands, so choose wisely. I'm a big fan of stacking a few simple silver bangles on my wrist. Bonus - they entertain Baby C for diaper changes and can be a good distraction from crying if needed. 
Lovely Reece Witherspoon with a simple necklace and bangles

One bright color

It never fails - whenever I feel totally blah in a t-shirt and jeans, I throw on a hot pink or bright yellow scarf and instantly cheer up. And I even get complimented by complete strangers while waiting in line at the grocery store. Having a brightly colored handbag, pair of shoes or scarf can add instant style and glamour to a plan outfit.

Beautiful mommy Jessica Alba doing a bright color perfectly

If all else fails, wear red lipstick

Nothing makes me feel more glamorous or sexy than putting on some red lipstick. Not mulberry or mauve. RED. The key is finding a red that works with you...the clown look is not sexy on anyone. Well, except clowns, I guess. 

Hot mama Gwen Stefani rocks her trademark red lips!

Remember, style is not something you buy. Style is something you already have. So don't feel like you have to go and buy a whole new wardrobe. Try searching fashion blogs for new ideas (my favorite is Kendi Everyday - be careful...it quickly becomes an obsession), or join Pinterest and comb through the hundreds of style pins. Or maybe see if anything that works for me works for you.

Oh, and if you're on Pinterest, we should be friends! Find me here!

No comments:

Post a Comment